Local attractions ...
The Mons Region: a world of opportunities! Local attractions include :
- - - - - - The City of Mons
An impressive historic city steeped in tradition and creativity, Mons is the cultural capital of Wallonia and the heart of this municipality of 250,000 inhabitants. Mons has been crowned European Capital of Culture 2015. The theme for 2015 is ?When technology meets culture?; see www.mons2015.eu for details of events.
- The recently restored baroque belfry, the only one of its kind in Europe, overlooks the city from its beautifully appointed gardens.
- The Spiennes Neolithic flint mines which used to provide knapped flint to countries throughout Europe - www.minesdespiennes.org ;
- The Ducasse de Mons, or 'Doudou', an extremely popular annual festival that has been held for hundreds of years. ;
Discover local history
- The belfry and château gardens
- Collegiate church of Saint Waltrude
- Château d'Havré
- Mons City Hall
- Saint-Denis-en-Broqueroie abbey
- The churches of Saint Nicolas and Saint Elizabeth
Don't miss these local events !
- the Doudou, the local name for the eight-day Ducasse de Mons festival
- FIFA, the International Love Film Festival - www.fifa-mons.be
- the Ethias Tennis Trophy, a prestigious leg of the ATP Challenger Tour - www.ethiastrophy.be
- the Ducasse de Messines procession and the chocolate festival
- the Fête de la Saint-Jean (St John the Baptist's Day), celebrated with bonfires
There's always something going on in Mons; ask at reception for details.
- - - - - - A few miles from Mons
- the MAC's (Museum of Contemporary Art), an international attraction - www.mac-s.be
- the Grand-Hornu complex - www.grand-hornu.be
- the PASS, science adventure park - www.pass.be
- the Pairi-Daiza wildlife park - www.pairidaiza.eu
- the historic Canal du Centre and its boat lifts, a UNESCO World Heritage Site http://voiesdeau.hainaut.be
- the Strépy-Thieu boat lift - http://voiesdeau.hainaut.be
- St Feuillien Brewery - http://www.st-feuillien.com